Monday, October 12, 2009

Surprise, Wollmeise!!!!







We visited family in Germany for three weeks this summer. One of the MUSTS on my list was of course, Wollmeise. It was overwhelming to walk into this little store brimming with gorgeous color and lots of happy knitters. I came home with lots of booty.




And booty.



But we won't talk about that...............



We visited Ulm. Remember this picture?



Here it is in summer.






In the city the party was on with Schwörmontag. It was a lot of fun to walk the streets and drink beer while people watching. What a cool city this is. Right on the Danube and tons of culture and history.






Blautopf






Konigsee...



The Zugspitz! Good LORD it is TALL. We were hoping to hike it, but in contemplating my gracelessness and a hike over a glacier....we thought it best to ride the Zugspitzbahn.






Would you like to see how I got down a granite flight of stairs? Thus the need to stay away from hiking Germany's tallest mountain this trip. hahaha



And one of my favorite cities in Austria: Salzburg. It is such a wonderful city and a place that I feel right at home as a musician. It is a surreal feeling.








We also toured around quite a bit and did do some wonderful hiking. Saw some wonderful museums. I was able to study a knitting technique at one museum that I have been dying to learn...... I will refrain from revealing that one right now, but suffice to say that day trip was by far the most meaningful and magical for me on the entire trip. Stay posted.

I took about 600 pictures in all.....but I won't torture you with them......at least not right now.

Finished objects......I think there have been a few since I last posted, but here is the most recent.

DSC02940

This is a test knit for Donna Druchunas for her book Ethnic Knitting Exploration. It is designed using her explanations of traditional techniques. I came away from this project with the confidence to design my own sweater. Pretty cool for someone who doesn't stray much beyond the written pattern.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Carrie K said...

Torture away! It looks fabulous. Is that a minature Christmas display?

Love your test knit! And your trip. Not the ankle though. Ouch.

12/10/09 17:02  
Blogger Angeluna said...

What a lovely, fun trip. Brings back memories. Well, except the Wollmeise wasn't there last time I went.

Ouch for that ankle!

13/10/09 07:03  
Blogger Terry Sailingknitter said...

I literally gasped when I saw Wollmeise in your title! Thanks so much for the photos inside the shop - the colors are so intense and happy. Lucky, lucky you!

And lucky you for being able to research a knitting technique in a museum...can't wait to find out what it is! Well, now I have to travel to countries with knitting traditions. Just have to convince the DH to point the boat in that direction and cross the Atlantic.

22/10/09 10:26  
Blogger Suzanne said...

All I have to say after looking at the closet is, it's a good thing your addiction is not to something that could hurt you!

6/11/09 17:14  
Blogger Suzanne said...

OH! Just read the other comments and I'm so silly! I thought that was a picture of your knitting room after bringing home "some" yarn. Now I realize it's the store!

6/11/09 17:15  
Blogger sewkalico said...

Looks like a fabulous trip (I also love -or used to love - schupfnudeln!)
Great sweater too!!

15/11/09 10:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home