Friday, March 05, 2010

Finishing Projects








Texas received an unusually hard winter this year. And I, for one, couldn't have been any happier when we got a record snowfall this February. Fritz, however was not so thrilled about the prospect of looking for his catnip in the snow.







I have been diligently working on finishing some projects this winter and I finally have some progress pictures to report. I have been trying to stay a little farther from the computer and a little closer to the knitting chair.....but with the invent of Ravelry that is increasingly harder and harder to do.


One of the projects I have been working on is a qulit class leading up to the Paula Nadelstern workshop. Here are a few of my blocks so far. It has been an amazing journey already as we have learned about many of the principals she uses as well as different techniques. Very fascinating. Previously I had just thrown colors and fabrics together and would hope for the best. Now I am beginning to understand movement and color in a better way. I have learned so much more than I thought that I would. I can hardly wait until the workshop.







I have also been knitting and spinning a bit.

Fiddlehead Mittens



Latvian Socks





Fireside Sweater






We Call Them Pirates....again! Another gift for a friend.





This is some sort of long wool that I am spinning s twist for a twined knitting project. The yarn is traditionally spun this way and plied with a z twist ply. This is opposite of normal, but twined knitting makes the yarn twist on itself as the knitting is done and this will alleviate some of this. I am spinning it with a little more twist than normal also. It should be an interesting project. I HAVE learned already that I apparently depend on my hand nearest the orifice a bit too much. With an opposite spin this was immediately noticeable. Ooops!


3 Comments:

Blogger Marina said...

Amazing! At least when you disappear, you always come back with a slew of wonderful projects. I. Have. Nothing. Might need to stop the baking. The cookies and cakes disappear before I can take a picture ;-)

I have the Dale booklet with the Canadian sweaters, if you want to borrow.

8/3/10 06:00  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Oh dear, can someone give Fritz a helping hand?

I'm intrigued by your quilt blocks- very creative.

12/3/10 04:58  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Paula Nadelstern! Oh wow, that is so cool! I bought her Kaleidoscope quilt book when it first came out too. A-maze-ing work. Your squares look so good! Lucky you to have gotten an in-person class from her.

Poor Fritz. He does not looked thrilled at the snow, does he? Is it nicer today? I think it's 80 degrees here today.

18/3/10 17:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home