Monday, December 09, 2013

And here comes old man Winter!


  My Christmas season officially started this weekend with the opening of The Nutcracker in another city. It was a wonderful show with a couple of the key roles being danced by dancers from the New York City Ballet. Unfortunately in the orchestra pit we don't really get to see much. I can vouch for the snow looking really great though! hahahah The show received great reviews and I know it was a huge success. It always feels like Christmas is finally here once I get to play Nutcracker and Messiah.

  Most of the musicians got stuck for an extra night because of the Icepocalypse in north Texas. My home was completely iced in but they had power. Thank God, as so many in Dallas and Ft Worth did not. There were inches of solid ice on some bridges and roads. Some unlucky travelers were stranded for hours and hours. I was dying to get home and do some quilting but it was not to be until Sunday afternoon. I did take my trusty featherweight with me just in case. hahah I am never caught away from home without projects. I spent most of my time working on Evening Blooms block 2 just doing appliqué . This is such a fun quilt to work on. I am actually planning on working on two at once in different fabric choices.

  I was able to get to one quilt store on Friday while I was in Tyler. It is called the Nimble Thimble. It is a Bernina dealer and a great and friendly shop. I found some amazing fabrics I had been looking for. They have a huge selection of Civil War reproductions and many many other terrific fabrics. I had a hard time not spending a huge amount of money in there. Ha! Good book selection, too. They also carry supplies and books for rug hooking. I will be visiting there on many more trips back to Tyler.

 I am also working on Swoon. Once I saw Kay Bell's version of it I was hooked. Her version is done in Luna Notte and just looks so sophisticated. Of course her quilting skills turn a beautiful top into a stunning quilt. I had planned to do mine in Luna Notte and Paris Flea Market. I don't like the greens of the Paris with the Luna, so it will probably be all Luna Notte or with just a little bit of French General thrown in. We will see. I have 7 blocks done and will finish up the other two soon. Unless we are done with our snow days. ;0)  Which I am afraid after tomorrow we are.

  Meanwhile, I was able to get a bit more quilting done on one of my quilts. Here is a little sneak peek.
  This is all pieced but the quilting and the extra batting
makes the stars look appliquéd. I just love the way it is turning out. I had to spend a fair amount of time taking an aspect of the quilting out I didn't like, but I am ok with that. I don't like to just leave something because of the amount of work it would take to remove it. I would rather just do it. I am always happy I did it in the end.

  Have a great week!!!



1 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Fabulous work! I especially like your Evening Bloom block.

12/12/13 13:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home